Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Tomorrow is my oncologist appt. Just to ask questions, see what he thinks and hopefully he'll agree with my decision. If not, I find someone who does. The more I read, the more I am 100% positive in my decision. I am not playing with this crap!!! I want this done and over with!

The social worker at the Great Lakes cancer center who contacts you said they might want to test for the BRCA gene. The dreaded gene that says whether or not you'll get breast cancer. I THINK, but not sure unless I get my book out, that if you test positive for this gene, you have a 90% chance of getting breast cancer, cervical? or ovarian? cancer or both. I would like to be tested because then Kari can get tested and also because if I'm positive, there's no question. I'll get my bilateral mastectomy.

I'll be on tomorrow with an update.

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck, Marge! Kay mentioned that I should come here. I am not a wealth of knowledge as I do not have breast cancer but I do have the BRCA gene mutation and my sister and niece have had breast cancer. A couple of places that may be beneficial to you are community.breastcancer.org and if you have the gene mutation http://www.facingourrisk.org/ is an excellent resource. I am having a mastectomy followed by micro-fat grafting (http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/reconstruction/after-mastectomy-miami.html) in February. Good luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. statistics on BRCA are 60-87% of getting breast cancer and many women go on to have breast cancer in the other breast (my sister did) and about a 40% risk of getting ovarian cancer. The statistics and more information is on the facing our risk site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you girl. Hoping you get the answers you need tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete